Box Score (PDF)
NEW ORLEANS -- Southern University women’s tennis opened a Sunday doubleheader at Tulane with a 4-0 loss to the Green Wave at the City Park Tennis Center.
Tulane opened with a 6-0 win on court 3 in doubles action before Adelaide Lavery and Daniela La Fuente clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 win over Stephanie Mbaya and D’Jeri Raymond.
In singles play, the Jaguars sustained losses at No. 6 singles and No. 4 singles before Rufaro Chiwera fell to Elena Muller 6-2, 6-2 to give the Green Wave the win.
Tanaka Chakanyuka held a 1-0 lead and was tied 2-2 in the second set when her match was suspended unfinished.
With the loss, the Jaguars fall to 0-2 but will return to action on Feb. 3 when Head Coach Jeff Conyers and the ladies make the short drive from North Baton Rouge to battle cross town neighbor LSU at the LSU Tennis Complex.
First serve for doubles action is set for a 5 p.m. start.
Tennis Match Results
Southern vs Tulane
Jan 26, 2019 at New Orleans
(City Park Tennis Center)
Tulane 4, Southern 0
1. Ivone Alvaro (TLN) vs. Tanaka Chakanyuka (SUBR) 5-7, 2-2, unfinished
2. Elena Muller (TLN) def. Rufaro Chirewa (SUBR) 6-2, 6-2
3. Daniela La Fuente (TLN) vs. Stephanie Mbaya (SUBR) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
4. Christina Sisti (TLN) def. Anya King (SUBR) 6-0, 6-3
5. Adelaide Lavery (TLN) vs. D'Jeri Raymond (SUBR) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
6. Alex Alegre (TLN) def. Nandi Munyulwa (SUBR) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ivone Alvaro/Elena Muller (TLN) def. Tanaka Chakanyuka/Rufaro Chirewa (SUBR) 5-3
2. Adelaide Lavery/Daniela La Fuente (TLN) def. Stephanie Mbaya/D'Jeri Raymond (SUBR) 6-2
3. Laura Fabrizi/Alex Alegre (TLN) def. Nandi Munyulwa/Anya King (SUBR) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,2)