PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas -- Despite a late rally, the Southern University Jaguars was unable to complete the comeback and eventually fell, 63-52 to the Prairie View A&M Lady Panthers in Southwestern Athletic Conference(SWAC) play, Thursday evening at the William Nicks Building.
Southern fell to 16-12, 13-4 SWAC; Prairie View improved to 16-12, 12-5.
Two Jaguars scored in double figures, Senior Skylar O'Bear and Sophomore Alyric Scott scored 13 and 11 respectively. Scott led the team with seven rebounds.
How it Happen
- Southern committed two early turnovers and a foul that contributed to Prairie View 5-0 start.
- Southern used a 9-2 lead to take an early lead, 11-7 cemented by a Jaden Towner mid-range jumper.
- The Jaguars ended the half on a two-minute scoring drought. The drought continued three-minutes into the third quarter when Skylar O'Bear connected on one of her three 3-point shots.
- With four minutes left in the third quarter, Prairie View went on a 9-2 run that saw Southern go on a three-minute scoring drought.
- Southern got to within eight but could not garner enough offensive power as four Jaguars' starters fouled out in the fourth quarter.
Highlights and Game Notes
- Southern clinched a share of the SWAC regular-season title last week with the win over Alcorn; Southern can clinch an outright title by defeating Texas Southern or a Prairie View loss to Alcorn.
- Prairie View A&M is the first team to sweep the Jaguars since falling to Texas Southern 1/4/17 & 3/4/17.
- Southern's Skylar O'bear surpassed 800 points, scored a career-high 254 points this season.
- Southern will host Mississippi Valley Tuesday, March 12 at 7:00 pm in the F.G. Clark Activity Center to open the SWAC Basketball Tournament. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $15 for reserved seating.
Jaguars are back in action Saturday at the HP&E Arena Saturday, May 8 at 5:30 PM.